Friday, March 14, 2008

WHITE





So we are getting close to Easter. Which means in the fashion world, lots of pastels, lace, flowers, and............... the color white. Yes people the color white.




I mean everyone knows that you don't wear white after labor day or before Easter. It's the law! Ok, at least it is in the South. Any southern girl knows that you are not supposed to wear white or carry a white bag after labor day and that Easter Sunday is when you can bring all that stuff back out.



(Easter 2007)

See that dress I'm wearing up there?

The last time I wore it was right before Labor day, and it's been in my closet since, where it ought to be.


On Oprah the other day, this guy on there said you could wear white whenever. I said "he doesn't know what he is talking about".


I know that even Stacey and Clinton say you can wear white (with certain things), but I just can't seem to do it.


It is engrained in my phyche that YOU DO NOT WEAR WHITE AFTER LABOR DAY!!!!!!!!



I found these rules out there in cyberland about being a Southern Belle:


-Never wear white shoes before Easter or after Labor Day except is if it is a bride.


-Thank you notes are a necessary component of being gracious and appreciative.


-Never chew gum or smoke on the street.


-Never show anger in public. Smile and act like a lady.


-Act helpless and confused when it's to your advantage; never let them know how clever and capable you really are...


-Charm, Charm, Charm.


-Be elegant and graceful


Don't cha just love the fifth one. :)


Know I'm not talking about a white shirt, like the one paired with this lovely suit below. That seems to be off limits to the rule or something.


I am talking about white shoes, white pants, white dress (unless your a bride), and white bags.


So am I wrong on this? Has something changed that I don't know about? Who else out there is with me on this?



Speak to me people I need to know!!!!!!




By the way if I don't get to comment on the other Frump Fighters, and all my other peeps out there, its because I am stalking Fussy going to a softball tournament up toward NashVegas. So I will see yall Saturday night.



Just Kidding Fussy, but I am coming up that way. :)



Photobucket

15 comments:

j said...

You Nut! How could you even sound unsure about that sacred bell rule? Don't let the NON-belles confuse you about your good upbringing. And you know, winter white is still awfully white.....

Where do you stand on drinking out of the can?

This was a fun post.

Thanks for your concern about me. You can't keep this blogger down. Be blessed Valarie honey. Travel safe this weekend.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

It's still the rule as far as I'm concerned and of course, my husband also puts away his seersucker suit, khaki suit and linen pants after Labor Day.

Actually, I was raised that you could only wear all that stuff after Memorial Day, but maybe things have gotten a little less strict since my childhood.

Texasholly said...

I agree. I tried to wear white in the off season once and just couldn't do it. Couldn't break a Southern rule. Didn't know what kinda jail I would end up for that one...

Anonymous said...

I'm not a southern belle, but my mamma so ingrained that rule in my head that I cannot break it!
The only white thing I ever wore in the winter one year was a white down jacket with white fur trim. My mom almost had a heart attack.

Anonymous said...

Well, the rules are different for us Floridians. We can wear white year-round because it's always summer. :)

(My daughter wore their white sandals to the beach on New Years Eve last year).

Annette said...

I also was taught no white after Labor Day, but Grandma said not to put it back on until after Memorial Day.

Perhaps because I am in the Midwest?

I really enjoyed this post.

Lisa said...

I thought the barriers were:

You can't wear white after the Lincoln County Fair...(second week in September) and you can wear white after Easter.

Were we raised in the same house?

Jill said...

I say, if you have it, wear it! yes, in the 1980's that was the rule, but do we want to be stuck in the 1980s? or do we want to be here and now!?! i agree though that white does look good in the sun. up north, its not very practical to wear white shoes as there is often too much mud and slush around for half the year.

Valarie said...

Who wasn't taught that? I worked retail, so we weren't even allowed to wear sandals or shorts after labor day...in GA!!

I usually don't wear white, anyway, because one of my precious angels will help me to dirty in no time. Also, being down here, the rules don't really apply as much, because the weather is so warm and I don't really think that Mexicans care. Even still, can't wear it...I'd get it dirty.

amyanne said...

LOVE your blog! I'm a publicist...would you be interested in reviewing Christian fiction/non-fiction on your blog?

send me an email and I'll send you more info! :)

p.s. I found you through the Five Minutes For Mom blog party.

Amy
amyalathrop@gmail.com

amyanne said...

Oh, and I'm totally with you on the "white" rule. And yes, from mother, too. There are just some rules in life that MUST be followed. :)

Joy said...

I agree- no white until after Easter- I'm also in the school of thought that sandals are also off limits until after Easter.

Sister Sassy said...

I'm always breaking rules. I'm wearing a white shirt right now...to bed. But still. As we know, I also wear character t-shirts.

Thanks for reading fiction friday! :)

Daisy said...

I don't wear a lot of white because I can't keep it clean. I like to blame it on the congenital defect - hole in chin. :D

Christine @ Serenity How? said...

You are right, right, right about white. I'm not even southern ('cause Southern Cal. doesn't count LOL!)

Love your blog. :-)