Friday, May 16, 2008

FIGHT THE FRUMP - HAIR CARE

fightfrumpbutton

First off I would like to say congratulations to Mrs. Fussypants on the arrival of the newest little Fussypants. I hope you are feeling wonderful, and if you are reading this, give that baby an extra squeeze from me. I would also like to say thank you to our interim host Kara. Thank you bunches!

Ok on with the show!

Today I am going to try to talk about something that is not as crazy as last week.

This week I am going to talk hair care. Several of you mentioned that you liked my hair, ok I think it might have actually been two or three. I want to thank you very much, but I did not get this hair on my own. Ok well I did grow my own hair, but I have help. :)

I have a wonderful hairdresser, who is one of my very dear friends. Now when you have a wonderful hairdresser, who is one of your very dear friends, they tend to tell you like it is. They also tend to tell you that the stuff you buy at Wally World and Tar-jay (say that with a french accent) is crap!! From personal experience I tend to believe said wonderful hairdresser, who is one of my very dear friends. When the budget has gotten tight, I have been known to go to Wally World or Tar-Jay (say that with a french accent) and get my "products". As a matter of fact up until about a three weeks ago, I was using some stuff from the drug store.

Lately though I had been wondering "what is up with my hair"? It just was not doing right, it looked dry and well just icky. So the last time I went and got my hair did, I did not mention the fact that I was using something not from a salon or a beauty store. She had scissors in her hands I was not about to mention that. My wonderful hairdresser, who is a one of my dear friends did tell me that my hair was really dry this time, I might want to get a deep conditioner. Well that is just great! I didn't want my hair being all dry and brittle!

So where did I go when I left there, yep you guessed it to my local beauty supply store. I had heard of this particular brand of hair stuff from a really popular blogger, and I thought its worth a shot. Now I don't even know if its the stuff she was talking about or I just know it was the brand name. So I picked up this stuff......

100_0244 .....It is wonderful!! Its called Biosilk Treat. You put it on towel dried hair and then you style as normal. Within a couple of times of using it I could tell a major difference.

I also got this stuff.....

337d_1

I really have liked it also. It is called "After Party" its for after you have styled your hair. You put just a little, and I mean just like a pea size in the palm of your hand and the rub your hands together and then smooth through your hair. Making sure to hit those areas, that have the most frizzy spots. Like around your face, and the tips of your hair.

bedhead-selfabsorbed-backpackLastly I picked me up some shampoo and conditioner "Bed Heads, Self Absorbed". I think this part is really key to having well managed hair. Now I have secret to tell you, this is not my natural hair color. Nope not at all. I probably should use something for color or highlighted hair, but I really like using something that puts a lot of moisture back into my hair. That is why I choose this product. I had used it before and really liked it so I thought lets try it again.

Since I have gotten back on the boat for using really good products I can tell such a difference in my hair. Its amazing.

Now I am not telling you to go out and buy these particular products, but to find the best products for your hair type. Good products, not the stuff that is marked down to half price somewhere because they could not get it off the shelves.

Sometimes we have to spend a little more to get a little more. I also think that these products tend to last longer, because I don't have to use as much of it.

So there you have it my hair care for the day. Now go find out what other wonderful Frump Fighting tips you get over at Karla's place.

22 comments:

Meg said...

I love Bed Head products but I don't use them. I am however a HUGE Biosilk fan!

Anonymous said...

Hi, again!
Hair products are a weakness of mine. Beware of my bathroom cupboard. You just may be buried if you open it!

Texasholly said...

I have gotten to the point of buying expensive shampoo too. I figure in the long run I save money because I can go longer between haircuts because the ends aren't so split and I can refrain from pulling my hair out because it isn't so dry and nasty.

Valarie said...

I absolutely LOVED using Biosilk when I colored my hair. And my favorite Shampoo/Cond. is Biolage. I can't get those here, so I use the best I can find, which is Brilliant Brunette. I also love the Bed Head products...all good stuff!

Anonymous said...

I love Bed Head products! Great post, I agree sometimes it is better spend a little extra.

Darla said...

Great post. There's something wrong with my hair and I can't figure it out. Schmuckedtomyhead is not exactly "in".

Tassi said...

Very cool- Thanks for the tip!

Come check out my fashion discernment dilemma!

Family O'Foxes said...

I just bought Bed Head shampoo (that orange bottle in your picture).

I just tried it once so I can't really say. My kids think it smells good. :)
~Amy

Lorie said...

Good hair products are a MUST. My first job was in a hair salon and I learned that at an early age, because I was the hair washer and you could definitely see a difference in peoples hair who used good products and who didnt. Pantene is one of the worst.I have for the most part always had good hair even though it is chemically treated and I have a health problem that should affect it, because I buy good salon hair products down the line. That's probably more than you wanted to know , but girl I had to TESTIFY!
I love you!
Lorie
Check out my post today!

Unknown said...

My sister is a hairdresser and she fusses at me all the time about by cheap hair products maybe I better listen. Have a great weekend!

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

First of all, I LOVE your blogger prayer. Too funny cuz its true. Especially that last line! :O)

I learned a lesson the hard way a few weeks ago after (finally) getting my hair cut. I, too, have a very good friend for a stylist, but the salon she works in is tres expensive. (Had to throw that French in there to go with "tar-gey".) So I opted to go to the salon of another friend. MISTAKE. After eight or nine years of having my hair cut a certain way by someone who knows my hair I expected this other person to do it the same way. Notsomuch. And though it cost me less, I'd rather pay more to have it the way I like.

OK, enough of my story. Thanks for visiting my blog - come back Monday and enter my 100th post giveaway!
Mommy Always Wins

Anonymous said...

My friend, Leah, makes her own shampoos and conditioners. I have always purchased from a beauty supply store but am now tempted to try some of her recipes. What does your stylist friend think about homemade product?

Blessings!
Lacy

Alicia said...

Just curious-do any of those have some type of protein in the first ingredients? I heard that was really important. One of the first ingredients in most of the cheap stuff is the same thing they use to make anti-freeze!

Kendra said...

I love bed head products. I use them daily.

j said...

I always feel so feminine when I read your blog, like a real girl. Like I didn't just throw my hair up into a flop and go to town. You know, like I COULD actually CHOOSE to do something for myself so that I could sing with pride..

"I feel PRETTY! Oh so PRETTY. I feel Pretty and Witty and Wise!"

Unfortunately, I think that Frump is ingrained in me, like wedged into my genes or something. I come from a long line of Frumpsters, doggedly remaining in their frumpiness.

I may just do it Valarie! I may break the generational curse of frumpiness and Fight Some Frump!!


Just not the hair.

I have bad hair, thin trying to go prematurely bald hair. Oh wait, girls aren't SUPPOSED to go bald, even prematurely. Hair club for men,and women, here I come.

But one day, I am going to get all girlie. Just you wait.

Hey! I love eye makeup. LOVE IT. I will look forward to Frump Fighting tips about doing eyes!

I answered you back on my site! I appreciate you keeping an eye on me!

And yeah, I was one of the ones who told you that you have great hair. Cause you do. Really.

Be blessed.

Jen

Valarie Lea said...

Jen there is a shampoo that my hair dresser uses, because she has thinner hair. Its call Nioxin, itmust be good or she wouldn't use it. Now if you want my kookie advice on hair care you should take pre-natel vitamins. They will help your hair and your nails. :)

Dawn said...

Woohoo! Just got a cut and color today! And, you're right, especially when you color your hair - good products are a must.

Not that I color my hair to cover gray, or anything. I do it just for the highlights. Yep, just for the hightlights. ;-)

DD said...

Do we REALLY want to put something called self-absorbed on your head??? ;)

Anjie said...

I need to start using something else too...I just feel like I am too cheap to buy from the salon. Maybe if I go to the supply store, I can be cheap and have wonderful hair at the same time!

Kimmie said...

Hi Valerie!
My daughter is a hairdresser and is always bringing me great products to use on my hair. She said that most of the products in the stores are made with a dish detergent base. Talk about dryness! I was using Aussie Products for a very long time and I loved them. I have something called Biologe or something like that right now and it makes my hair so soft and smells great too. She also puts a shine on my hair ever so often. Color and highlights dull, this product brings back the shine.

Thanks for all the tips! I think my daughter has used the Biosilk. I have seen it on my vanity when she comes to stay with us. She buys everything at Sally's Beauty Supply. She wants all the good stuff, even her makeup. She was an Assistant Manager there for two years until she changed over to Tar-get. I think she regrets leaving Sally's, but she still goes there for all her supplies. She left on good terms. Who knows, maybe she will go back there some day. :-)

BTW...you do have beautiful hair. I am not sure if I have told you that before, but I think I may have.
Love,
Kimmie

Michelle@Life with Three said...

I've always heard great things about Bed Head products. I may have to take a trip to the local beauty supply store and see what I can find. My hair is fine, so I wonder if Nioxin would work for me.

Rhea said...

I think I've got some of that bed head stuff...or something very similar in a bright container. It really helps! I have crazy hair.